Fort York
Fort York's gunpowder magazine held 74 tons of iron shells and 300 barrels of gunpowder on a morning in April 1813. British troops had packed it there themselves, ready to blow up their own fort rather than hand it to an advancing American army. The blast killed more than 250 American soldiers, including Brigadier General Zebulon Pike. It rained debris down on troops still gathered outside the walls. This was a wooden colonial outpost, torn apart by the same war it was built to fight, then rebuilt on top of its own wreckage. How did a shoreline garrison meant to guard a single narrow harbour entrance end up destroying itself instead of surrendering. What did people call this place before the name Fort York settled into use. A military post spent over a century fighting off decay, streetcar planners, and an expressway. How did it turn into a museum a city still walks through today.
John Graves Simcoe, lieutenant governor of Upper Canada, began weighing a fort at Toronto in the early 1790s. Britain had scouted Toronto as far back as the 1780s but never stationed troops there. Simcoe's idea fit a larger plan to pull isolated British garrisons out of the U.S. Northwest Territory and away from the Canada-United States border. Fewer forces on American soil meant fewer flashpoints with Washington. Simcoe also feared that American troops could overrun exposed British positions, including the naval base at Kingston.
Toronto, renamed York from 1793 to 1834, won Simcoe's favor for two reasons. It sat well away from the border, and its harbour had only one way in from the water. That made it easy to defend. Simcoe pictured the harbour anchoring British control of Lake Ontario, positioned to block any American push west into Upper Canada. He also imagined it as a hub for dispatching troops across the colony. Forts along east-west roads and a north-south portage route to Georgian Bay would link that network. That portage mattered most if Lake Erie and the Detroit River fell under American control. Most of this planned network of forts was never built. Simcoe simply could not raise the money.
On the 20th of July 1793, 100 soldiers from the Queen's Rangers landed around Garrison Creek. They built the first permanent British garrison in Toronto, raising 30 cabins of green wood for winter quarters. The cabins formed the same triangular footprint the fort still holds today. Simcoe wanted this post paired with a second fortification at Gibraltar Point, but Lord Dorchester, the governor general of the Canadas, rejected the plan. Dorchester argued the money belonged in Kingston instead.
Simcoe built anyway, drawing on provincial treasury funds because the post had no official army status yet. By November 1793 the fort held two log barracks, a stockade, and a sawmill for lumber. Over the following year the Rangers added a guard house and two undersized blockhouses near Gibraltar Point. By the end of 1794, Simcoe judged York impossible to defend as it stood. That same year he stripped artillery from the fort to arm Fort Miamis in the Northwest Territory. That left York with only a few condemned guns hauled from Kingston.
The colony's administration moved to York in 1796. By then the fort carried a garrison of 147 men, though no naval base existed in the harbour and its defences stayed thin. The settlement gained two more blockhouses around this time, one of them at Fort York, fitted with a cupola to guide ships in. Fort York finally became an official British Army post in late 1798, unlocking military funding. A new stockade went up. Older structures gave way to barracks, a carriage and engine shed, a colonial government house, a guardhouse, a gunpowder magazine, and storehouses.
Rising Anglo-American tension around the turn of the century pushed Major-General Isaac Brock to act. He ordered three new artillery batteries and a wall and dry moat along the fort's western edge. Furnaces let the batteries fire heated shot, while 12-pounder guns on mobile carriages covered ground the fixed batteries could not reach. Plans resurfaced to expand the fort near Government House into a naval base, reviving one of Simcoe's old ideas. Most of Upper Canada's navy still sat at Kingston, so governor general George Prevost chose to shift assets to York only in phases. When word of the American declaration of war reached York, the fort's regulars and cavalry marched for the Niagara peninsula. That left the Canadian militia to hold Fort York alone, with no time or money left to fix its remaining weaknesses.
Henry Dearborn planned to seize the Canadas by hitting York first, then the Niagara peninsula, Kingston, and finally Montreal. The attack on the town of York was that plan's opening move. Word of approaching ships pulled most of the area's professional troops, First Nations-allied warriors, and local militia into the fort. Regulars stationed at the town's own blockhouse were called back once it was clear no landing was coming from the east.
Most of the fighting broke out roughly 2 km west of the fort, during the American landing itself. The British and First Nations force could not hold the western battery or stop the landing, and fell back to the fort. American troops advanced and took up positions outside its walls, trading artillery fire. An American naval squadron added to the bombardment from a position south of the fort's stockade. Commanding officer Roger Hale Sheaffe judged the battle lost. He ordered a silent withdrawal and had the gunpowder magazine rigged to keep it out of American hands. The British left their flag flying on the pole as they slipped away, so the Americans gathering outside assumed the fort still held its garrison.
Fear of a counterattack held the American troops back after the blast. They did not advance onto the abandoned fort until British forces had already left York. Once the town surrendered, American forces occupied the fort itself. They held militia members inside for two days before releasing them on what was recorded as "parole". Fort York's dead were buried at first in shallow graves inside the walls, then reburied outside once the Americans withdrew. Government House, already wrecked by the blast, was burned by American forces on the 1st of May 1813. Before leaving York, the Americans set fire to most of the fort's remaining buildings, sparing only its barracks.
Work to rebuild the settlement's defences began in the second half of 1813. The Royal Navy planned to station a four-vessel squadron in York's harbour, and the rebuild was timed to protect it. By November 1813 the Government House Battery and the Circular Battery stood ready, each carrying two 8 inch mortars. Two more blockhouses were close to finished. Crews cleared the surrounding forest, stripping away cover for any future attacker, while rebuilding the earthworks, barracks, and gunpowder magazine. The fort was not finished until around 1815. A shortage of skilled artificers slowed the work, and an unusually warm 1813-14 winter left no snow for sleighs hauling supplies.
From the second half of 1813 until the war's end, the rebuilt fort served as a hospital. The naval squadron at York ferried wounded soldiers in from the Niagara front. On the 6th of August 1814, an American naval squadron approached York's harbour, suspecting British ships were sheltering there. It sent the Lady of the Lake in under a white flag, a ploy to size up the town's defences. Militia inside the fort opened fire on the ship instead. After an exchange of shots, the vessel pulled back to its squadron, which lingered outside the harbour for three days before sailing off.
By 1816 the rebuilt fort held eighteen buildings and could garrison 650 soldiers, with room for another 350 in nearby facilities. Peacetime brought neglect. The fort was patched up only when relations with Washington looked shaky, and by the early 1830s it was clearly obsolete. A plan for a replacement was approved in 1833. That replacement, New Fort York, opened in 1841 roughly 2779 ft to the west, reachable at first only by a path through the old fort. The old fort kept its batteries active for harbour defence and its open ground for drills and rifle practice. From 1839 to 1840 it even hosted a Royal Society weather and magnetic observatory, before that moved to the University of King's College campus. A plan for three martello towers between Fort York and Gibraltar Point never got built.
The Rebellions of 1837-38 pulled the garrison away to Lower Canada. Just 10 regulars held Fort York until the Queen's Rangers returned after the Battle of Montgomery's Tavern. The fort emptied out again in 1854, when its garrison left for the Crimean War. For two years it was kept up by 150 "enrolled pensioners," retired British soldiers who had been granted land around the city. The Trent Affair soured relations with Washington again in the 1860s. The military floated a plan to swap the fort's shore batteries for mobile rifled artillery, meant to defend Canada West. That plan never went ahead, though it kept resurfacing as late as the 1880s.
Britain began pulling its troops out of secondary North American garrisons as tensions eased ahead of the Treaty of Washington. Fort York was one of them. The fort passed formally to the federal government of Canada on the 25th of July 1870. The last British imperial troops left in 1871, alongside two Canadian militia regiments departing on the Wolseley expedition. Toronto's provincial and municipal governments tried to buy the old fort through the 1870s and 1880s. The Department of Militia and Defence refused each time, since the fort remained New Fort York's only route into the city and its rifle range. In the meantime it served as family housing, militia offices, storage, and a training ground. During the Second Boer War and the First World War, it also worked as a local enlistment centre.
A purchase agreement finally went through in 1903, binding the city to "properly care for" the old fort. The militia kept using the site as an ammunition store and family housing into the 1930s. A 1905 proposal to run a streetcar through the fort backfired badly. It sparked the "Old Fort Protective Association" and pressure from Toronto's press. That pressure pushed prime minister Wilfrid Laurier to add a new condition to the deed. The city had to restore the fort properly, or lose the surrounding land back to the federal government. The city took formal ownership in 1909. On the 25th of May 1923, Fort York was designated a National Historic Site of Canada.
In 1932 Toronto's municipal government began a two-year restoration of Fort York. The project rebuilt the fort to its 1816 layout, run as a make-work program timed to the city's incorporation centennial. The Canadian militia gave up its occupancy as a result, though the military moved back in briefly during the Second World War. That brief return prompted construction of the Fort York Armoury between the old and new forts in the 1930s. The fort reopened as a museum on Victoria Day in 1934, staffed by a reenactment unit dressed as infantry soldiers, fifers, and drummers.
Management passed to the Toronto Civic Historical Committee, forerunner of the Toronto Historical Board, in 1949, alongside further restoration that year. In 1958 the government of Metropolitan Toronto proposed relocating the fort to the waterfront, which land reclamation had pushed further south. The goal was to clear space for the Gardiner Expressway. Public opposition killed the plan, and the expressway was rerouted around the fort instead. That fight helped launch Toronto's historic preservation movement, along with the Toronto Historical Board itself.
Toronto listed the fort in its first heritage properties inventory in 1973. The province designated the wider precinct a heritage conservation district in 1985. Archaeologists carried out excavations between 1976 and 2011, mapping the fort's original layout and locating buildings long since torn down. Local residents formed the Friends of Fort York and Garrison Common in 1994, later registering it as a charity. That same year the Toronto Historical Board revived the Fort York Guard, a reenactment unit that had lapsed in the mid-1980s. Its ranks drew high school and university students dressed in the uniforms of the Canadian Regiment of Fencible Infantry. Management of the Guard later passed to the Friends of Fort York. Its musket and artillery demonstrations ran each summer until 2022, when the city cut its funding. The stated concern was that living-history displays perpetuated colonialism.
Toronto's 1997 amalgamation folded the museum into the city's Museum and Heritage Services. In 2000 city council handed its management to a dedicated board of citizen appointees, separate from the rest of the municipal museum system. In September 2017, Fort York hosted the archery events of the Invictus Games, a multi-sport competition for wounded, injured, or sick armed forces personnel. It put the old parade ground to a use Simcoe never imagined.
The fort complex covers about 3.24 ha of land. It holds the only defensive earthworks and original buildings left from a Canadian War of 1812 fort, seven of them dating to the 1813-15 reconstruction. An eighth building, a rebuilt barracks, joins the seven originals. Together they form the largest surviving cluster of War of 1812-era buildings anywhere in Canada. Those seven include the two blockhouses, two soldiers' barracks, the officers' brick barracks and mess hall, a brick-walled powder magazine, and a stone-walled one. All stand in their original positions, built from their original materials. The stone magazine stores ammunition and gunpowder behind walls 2 m thick, sealed by a vaulted, bomb-proof door. Foundation problems soon after it was finished forced the construction of the brick magazine as a backup.
Officers and enlisted soldiers lived on very different terms inside the fort's three original barracks. Two barracks housed enlisted men, and one held officers with an attached mess hall. By the 1860s the two enlisted barracks, once packed with soldiers and their families, held married quarters for only three soldiers. Restored to its 1830s layout, the brick officers' barrack splits into two apartments. Each holds four private quarters and a kitchen or servant's room, plus a mess hall with its own entrance and a separate entrance for servants. Its kitchen, described as the city's oldest, sits down a steep staircase in the basement. The original oven still stands there, though the floor was removed for archaeological study. A second, ground-level kitchen was added in 1826. A fourth barracks, the blue officers' barracks and mess hall, is a 1986 reconstruction of a junior officer's building. It splits into four apartments of four rooms each, arranged around a central hall.
Fort York's two blockhouses were built splinter-proof, with loopholes for small arms and artillery and an overhanging second storey. Unlike most British blockhouses of the era, they added cellar storage and skipped first-floor windows as too risky. Each floor could be sealed off from the other if the level below was breached. Limestone-and-shale foundations carried white pine walls, reinforced with wooden trunnels and clad in clapboard. Both blockhouses opened onto the second floor from the east, since planners expected any attack to come from the west. Blockhouse No. 1, in the southeast, could hold 120 soldiers as barracks. Blockhouse No. 2, near the circular battery, held 160. For a short stretch after the 1837-38 rebellions, both got a dry moat and drawbridge, later filled back in.
The earthen ramparts, faced in stone, were built to soak up cannon fire and leave room for palisades against a land assault. The old shoreline embankment they once fronted is still visible south of the fort, despite decades of land reclamation. Crews rebuilt sections of the ramparts in 1838, the 1860s, and the 1930s. In 1916 they tore out the northeastern stretch entirely to make way for the Bathurst streetcar route. The 1930s rebuild moved that section, and the fort's southern ramparts, further from their original lines. The south wall rose by 1.6 m and shifted roughly 5 m north. Nine gun placements remain today, fewer than the design originally intended. The central circular battery on the south wall was expanded in 1828. The 1860s added palisades, parapets, and a seven-gun battery along the same wall.
Almost nothing survives above ground of the fort's original 1793 layout. The first Government House lies buried beneath today's parade ground. Debris from the April 1813 fighting was buried in the crater the exploded gunpowder magazine left behind. A maple tree now marks that magazine's location, next to a plaque for the Rush-Bagot Treaty, the postwar agreement that demilitarized the Great Lakes. Several of the fort's early structures were later lost entirely. The carpenter's shop disappeared sometime after 1815. The sappers' and miners' barracks came down in 1822, and a cookhouse was torn down in 1848. A third blockhouse, under construction on the western wall in 1815, burned down and was never rebuilt. The Commandant's House, "D" Barrack, an artillery barracks, and an 1838 cookhouse were also lost. That ground now sits north of the fort's walls, since the 1930s restoration moved the northern ramparts further south.
Fort York National Historic Site spans roughly 16.6 ha. The fort itself once sat directly on Toronto's waterfront. Land reclamation starting in 1850 pushed the shoreline back, until the fort stood 900 m inland by the 1920s. The military reserve around it, once 768 acre, shrank steadily as pieces were carved off for housing and factories. Toronto's municipal government still owns and runs the grounds, making it one of the National Historic Sites of Canada that Parks Canada does not manage.
The historic site groups together the fort, the mustering ground called Garrison Common, the visitor centre, and military cemeteries north of the fort. The Railway Lands cut those cemeteries off from the rest of the property. Two pedestrian and cycle bridges, known together as Garrison Crossing and finished in 2019, reconnect that northern parkland to the site. They are the first bridges built entirely of stainless steel in Canada. The cemetery took burials of soldiers and their families from 1793 to 1863. Part of it was later renamed Victoria Memorial Square, and some of its original headstones were reused there in a memorial. In 2004 the province widened its heritage conservation district to cover the Fort York Armoury, southwest of the visitor centre. The Armoury remains an active drill hall for the Canadian Army, under the Department of National Defence. The rest of the grounds stay open to the public year-round, with hours limited only at the fort and visitor centre.
North of the Gardiner Expressway and south of Garrison Common stands the visitor centre, a 27000 sqft rectangular building. Patkau Architects designed it with Kearns Mancini Architects, under a contract awarded in December 2009. It opened to the public in 2014, though construction was not finished until 2015. Builders set it into the original Lake Ontario escarpment, so it doubles as a retaining wall for Garrison Common above it. Its southern face is clad in weathering steel panels, meant to echo that old shoreline. Light enters through narrow glazed slits and, in places, full glass walls angled like awnings so passersby can see inside. The panels bolt on and can be removed when highway crews need the space beneath. Visitors move up a ramp from the ground-floor entrance toward an exit on the green roof, which empties onto Garrison Common. Along the way they pass a 2900 sqft gallery of War of 1812 artifacts and a 480 sqft vault for light-sensitive pieces. An immersive exhibit covers the Battle of York, alongside offices and a community meeting space.
Toronto's British defenders never relied on Fort York alone. Before the Battle of York, three more blockhouses ringed the settlement: two at Gibraltar Point and one near King and Parliament Street. The Western Battery and the Half-Moon Battery, both west of the fort, backed them up. American forces destroyed nearly all of it in 1813, along with the fort itself. Rebuilding brought three replacement blockhouses: one at Gibraltar Point, one beside the Western Battery, and a third on Queen Street guarding the western approach. The Queen Street post was dismantled in 1818, and the other two stood in ruins by the mid-1820s. The 1837-38 rebellions prompted three more, at College Street and Spadina Avenue, on Sherbourne Street, and along Yonge Street, all dismantled by the mid-19th century. New Fort York outlived every one of them. It stayed in military use until the end of the Second World War, before most of it was demolished in 1951. Its officers' quarters are the only piece still standing today, the lone survivor of a defensive network that once ringed the entire town.
Common questions
What is Fort York and where is it located?
Fort York is an early 19th-century military fortification in the Fort York neighbourhood of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It housed British and Canadian military personnel and defended the entrance to Toronto Harbour. Today it forms part of the 16.6 ha Fort York National Historic Site.
When was Fort York built?
The first permanent British garrison in Toronto was established at the site on the 20th of July 1793, under lieutenant governor John Graves Simcoe. That original fort was destroyed by American forces after the Battle of York in April 1813. The rebuilt fort standing today was completed around 1815.
Why was Fort York destroyed during the Battle of York?
British commanding officer Roger Hale Sheaffe judged the battle lost and ordered a silent withdrawal. He had the fort's gunpowder magazine rigged to explode rather than let it fall into American hands. The magazine held 74 tons of iron shells and 300 barrels of gunpowder. The blast killed more than 250 American soldiers, including Brigadier General Zebulon Pike.
Why is it called Fort York?
Fort York is a retronym. The fortifications were originally called the Garrison, the Garrison at York, or the Fort at York. After new fortifications were built in 1841, residents began calling the older site the Old Fort. The name Fort York for it emerged during the 1870s.
When did Fort York become a museum?
Toronto's municipal government restored Fort York to its early 19th-century configuration between 1932 and 1934. It reopened as a museum on Victoria Day in 1934. The site had already been designated a National Historic Site of Canada on the 25th of May 1923.
How many historic buildings are inside Fort York?
Fort York contains eight historical buildings, including two blockhouses, and seven of them date to the fort's 1813-15 reconstruction. The eighth is a reconstruction of a barracks that previously stood on the site. Together they form the largest surviving collection of War of 1812-era buildings in Canada.
All sources
20 references cited across the entry
- 1BookCarl Benn's Stories of Canada's Past 2-Book Bundle: Mohawks on the Nile/Historic Fort YorkCarl Benn — Dundurn — 2016
- 2JournalThe Blockhouses of Toronto: A Material History StudyCarl Benn — 1995
- 3JournalThe Founding of the Toronto Magnetic Observatory and the Canadian Meteorological Service (with Plates XIII-XVI)A. D. Thiessen — 1940
- 4Fort York Heritage Conservation DistrictParks Canada
- 5Fort York National Historic SiteRonald J. Dale — Historica Canada — 4 March 2015
- 6Fort York National Historic Site of CanadaParks Canada
- 7A Brief History of Fort YorkCarl Benn — The Friends of Fort York and Garrison Common — 2020
- 8Fort York GuardThe Friends of Fort York and Garrison Commons — 2020
- 9Fort York backers frustrated by grant cancellationJake Kivanc — 13 August 2022
- 10Toronto's Fort York is Under Attack Again. This Time it's an Inside JobLarry Ostola — 27 June 2022
- 12VenuesInvictus Games Toronto 2017 — 2016
- 13Standing on guard for Fort YorkLisa Rochon — The Woodbridge Company — 5 December 2001
- 14New Garrison bridge connects people and parks in Toronto's Fort York areaCanadian Broadcasting Corporation — 1 October 2019
- 15Made of stainless steel: Fort York bridge first of its kind in CanadaCorus Entertainment — 24 November 2015
- 16Fort York ArmouryParks Canada
- 17ExhibitsThe Friends of Fort York and Garrison Common — 2020
- 18Fort York National Historic SiteCity of Toronto — 2020
- 19Fort York Visitor CentreKearns Mancini Architects — 2020
- 20The Fort York Visitor Centre Opens in TorontoDavid Dick-Agnew — Azure Publishing Inc. — 11 May 2015