Santa Clara Province
Santa Clara Province once stretched across a broad swath of central Cuba, governing a region that Cubans also called Las Villas. Its capital city shared its name: Santa Clara. For most of its existence, the province anchored the island's interior, until a single law passed in 1976 erased it from the map entirely. What drove that decision, and what took its place, is the story of how modern Cuba reorganized itself.
After 1940, the province acquired a longer official title: Provincia de Santa Clara. The earlier name, Las Villas, remained in common use alongside it, reflecting the region's deep roots in Cuban geography and culture. That dual identity persisted for decades, with residents and officials alike drawing on both names depending on context.
Cuban Law Number 1304, dated the 3rd of July 1976, proclaimed an administrative re-adjustment that broke the province apart. The territory was carved into three modern Cuban provinces: Villa Clara, Cienfuegos, and Sancti Spíritus. The law was part of a broader national reorganization that reshaped provincial boundaries across Cuba, and Santa Clara Province was among those that ceased to exist as a result.
Common questions
What was Santa Clara Province in Cuba?
Santa Clara Province was a historical administrative division of Cuba, also known as Las Villas or, after 1940, Provincia de Santa Clara. Its capital was the city of Santa Clara.
When was Santa Clara Province divided?
Santa Clara Province was divided in 1976, under Cuban Law Number 1304 of the 3rd of July 1976.
What provinces replaced Santa Clara Province after 1976?
The territory of Santa Clara Province was divided into three modern Cuban provinces: Villa Clara, Cienfuegos, and Sancti Spiritus.
Why was Santa Clara Province abolished?
Santa Clara Province was abolished as part of an administrative re-adjustment proclaimed by Cuban Law Number 1304 of 1976, which reorganized provincial boundaries across Cuba.
What other name was Santa Clara Province known by?
Santa Clara Province was also known as Las Villas, and after 1940 it carried the formal title Provincia de Santa Clara.